- Antique Gallery
- Wish List
- Mailing List
- Contact Me
Early Terms for Diseases
- Aguesearch for term
Intermittent chills and fever (as in malaria).
- Apoplexysearch for term
Sudden paralysis, perhaps by stroke, or bleed into the brain or other organ.b
- Black Deathsearch for term
- Brightís Diseasesearch for term
Kidney disease which is accompanied by fluid retention and often kidney failure (described by Sir Richard Bright).c
- Catameniasearch for term
- Cataplexysearch for term
"Shock" by fright.
- Catarrhsearch for term
Upper respiratory tract infection, mucous.
- Cholerasearch for term
Any infectious disease that is epidemic.
- Clap, Dripsearch for term
- Consumptionsearch for term
- Dropsysearch for term
Fluid retention (from heart, liver, or kidney disease).
- Dystociasearch for term
- Falling Sicknesssearch for term
- French (or great) Pox, Luessearch for term
- Furunclesearch for term
- Gleetsearch for term
- Grippesearch for term
- Humorsearch for term
Any secreted bodily fluid.
- Hydrophobiasearch for term
Rabies (with apparent fear of water).k
- King's Evilsearch for term
Scrofula, or tuberculosis of the lymph nodes in the neck.l
- Laudable Pussearch for term
Purulent discharge from a wound -- thought to be a good sign.m
- Mad as a Hattersearch for term
Mental changes from mercury poisoning (formerly used by hat makers).
- Maniasearch for term
- Miasmasearch for term
'Diseased' air that causes illness.o
- Oedema (edema)search for term
Fluid retention and swelling.p
- Palsysearch for term
Difficulty in muscular control.
- Physiksearch for term
Medication, or the Practice of Medicine (G. physikos, natural or physical).
- Pilessearch for term
- Quinsysearch for term
- Shaking Palsysearch for term
- Spermatorrhea (Onanism)search for term
Nocturnal discharge, masturbation.t
- Tokologysearch for term
The study of women's diseases.